Kristen over at Motherese posted this to kick off the new year…and I loved it. So, of course, I asked if I could borrow it and she said yes! Don’t you just love the blogiverse? Me too. We’re already 23 days into the new year and I, for one, haven’t stopped reflecting on the fact that time is really flying. This seemed like the perfect way to slow down a bit and…reflect.
1. What was the single best thing that happened this past year?
One single thing? Geez, I’m starting off with a tough one. My Mom got a divorce. That’s the best thing that happened in 2011.
2. What was the single most challenging thing that happened?
Matt losing his job right before school started was challenging. His new teaching assignment was a big challenge as well. So teaching for Toledo Public Schools was the most challenging thing for us.
3. What was an unexpected joy this past year?
All of my kids going to school. As much as I miss them, it allows me to get my work done and be free from it once they’re home. It’s nice.
4. What was an unexpected obstacle?
Matt losing his job again. It caused us to cut back financially and some things we had planned went by the wayside. But, luckily, we’ve ended up better off than we ever have been…probably because it caused us to take stock in what’s really important. And it sho ain’t money!
5. Pick three words to describe 2011.
Busy, fun and love.
6. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe your 2011 (don’t ask them; guess based on
how you think your spouse sees you).
Exhausting, stressful and crazy.
7. Pick three words your spouse would use to describe their 2011 (again, without asking).
Exhausting, stressful and crazy. 🙂
8. What were the best books you read this year?
The Karin Slaughter books—I love her. She’s been my favorite find of 2011.
Check out my “Read with Me” page for more…there are too many!!!
9. With whom were your most valuable relationships?
My husband, my kids, my Mom, my friend Amy and my friend Michelle.
10. What was your biggest personal change from January to December of this past year?
I started being kind to myself. It’s made a huge difference!!!
11. In what way(s) did you grow emotionally?
I feel as though I grew closer to my family, which I didn’t think was possible because we were so close already. I feel like our circle of 5 is as strong as ever.
12. In what way(s) did you grow spiritually?
I taught my children about God, Jesus and the Bible this year. That has been an interesting journey for us all.
13. In what way(s) did you grow physically?
My breasts seem to have taken on a life of their own. My friend Amy says that’s what happens when you get old. Ha!! I continue to push myself to get stronger. Olivia’s not getting any smaller!!
14. In what way(s) did you grow in your relationships with others?
I feel like I tried to be more open and honest about my feelings. I’m not good at that.
15. What was the most enjoyable part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
I just love to teach. The days when I have class and I actually get to teach, I just love. The most enjoyable part of my work at home is reading with my kids. I love it that my boys can now read independently; Gabe and I read Harry Potter together this year and I will cherish that forever.
16. What was the most challenging part of your work (both professionally and at home)?
Working from home is always a challenge. I could work 24 hours a day and still not be done. That is always a huge challenge. That and not going upstairs to take a nap at noon.
17. What was your single biggest time waster in your life this past year?
Pinterest!!! But I love it and I don’t care.
18. What was the best way you used your time this past year?
I have been really good at relaxing more on the weekends. Sure, there’s laundry and cleaning and work to do; I’ve been really good about saying “Fuck it all!” and reading a book instead.
19. What was biggest thing you learned this past year?
That my well-being is just as important as everyone else’s. I shouldn’t put myself last.
20. Create a phrase or statement that describes 2011 for you.